Why would I learn this language?
BASIC is a simple language which is easy to learn. It provides a simple set of semantic constructs and data types. There are many free software implementations, but unfortunately the most typically used implementation is proprietary (Microsoft Visual Basic).
- Gambas is a full-featured object language and development environment built on a BASIC interpreter.
- FreeBASIC is a completely free, open-source, 32-bit BASIC compiler with a large supportive community.
- Visual Basic Developer Center
- Introduction to programming with Visual Basic, as well as many other more advanced topics.
- Visual Basic .NET Tutorials for Beginners
- An introduction to programming for beginners.
BASIC was developed by Microsoft into several platforms, including QBasic and Visual Basic. Visual Basic has object oriented features and includes a drag and drop user interface toolset. These tools are proprietary and generally only work on Microsoft Windows. Other dialects of BASIC exist for various platforms, such as REALbasic.
The following is an example of the Fizz Buzz problem.
FOR I = 1 TO 100 IF MOD(I,3)=0 AND MOD(I,5)=0 THEN PRINT "FizzBuzz" ELSEIF MOD(I,3)=0 THEN PRINT "Fizz" ELSEIF MOD(I,5)=0 THEN PRINT "Buzz" ELSE PRINT I ENDIF NEXT I
The following is an example of the 100 doors problem.
' Define an array of 100 doors DIM doors(0 TO 99) ' Process the doors FOR pass = 0 TO 99 FOR door = pass TO 99 STEP pass + 1 ' Toggle the door doors(door) = NOT doors(door) NEXT door NEXT pass ' Print out the results FOR i = 0 TO 99 PRINT "Door #"; i + 1; " is "; IF NOT doors(i) THEN PRINT "closed." ELSE PRINT "open." END IF NEXT i